Saturday, June 15, 2013

Some Quick Words of Mouth - Man of Steel

Zack Snyder Shows Off His Nerd Cred. We've got a Reaper, the Metal Gear-est, Dragonballinest fight scene I've ever seen, an opening that feels like a better written but still kind of bad scene from the Star Wars Prequels, and Gaeta from Battlestar playing the exact same role he does on the show. Superman jumps over mountains in a visual quote from Ang Lee's Hulk.

Absolutely loved the origin stuff with Clark growing up. Ma and Pa Kent are great, Lois Lane's better than most women in superhero movies. Most of the "present" stuff was a fun ride that ultimately didn't do a whole lot for me but I think I'd like to see Snyder make a DBZ movie now. Like everything he's done, there are a couple perfect scenes surrounded by a whole lot of noise.

There's an absolute ton of 9/11 imagery but its use feels more like exploitation than horror and I'm not yet sure why it's there in the first place. Superman fights in a city so we can see a city get destroyed. Star Trek Into Darkness tackles the same question of 9/11's sociological fallout but with infinitely more tact and skill.

Definitely Zack Snyder's best movie. The dude's growing and learning, but once you've made a couple of 100 million dollar movies you should already be grown.

I didn't like it as much as Superman Returns, but I'm the one guy who actually really liked Superman Returns. I'd rather not argue its merits right now, as I totally understand why other people dislike it and nothing's worse than arguments over superhero movies (except for arguments over Prometheus.)

No comments:

Post a Comment